International Economic Relations
The aim of this course is to provide a brief overlook of the main issues regarding International economic relations; what a free trade means and what are its advantages and disadvantages, especially for less developed countries. Moreover, students should understand types of economic integration by analysing selected regional trading blocs.
Lecturer of the study module
Ing. Jindřiška Nikolo, Ph.D.
The aim of this course is to provide a brief overlook of the main issues regarding International economic relations; what a free trade means and what are its advantages and disadvantages, especially for less developed countries. Moreover, students should understand types of economic integration by analyzing selected regional trading blocs.
Students will start by learning basic terminology: globalization, international business, comparative advantage and they will study trade theories of absolute and comparative advantage. We will comprehend the World Trade Organization’s (WTO) goals and achievements and compare significant regional trade integrations. The role of Multinational corporations’ (MNC)
in a globalized world will be examined, too. Finally, aspects of labor and capital mobility will be analysed on the case of maquiladora plants situated on Mexico-US border.
The course is focused on several DVD case studies from the world economy, which will be discussed.
- Trade – advantages and disadvantages, GATT and WTO.
- Trading blocs, regional trade integration (case study on DVD: NAFTA).
- Capital and labor mobility (e.g.: maquiladoras), MNC.
- Developing countries (case study on DVD: Tanzania – Trade vs. Aid)
- Globalization vs. Environment
- VEBER, J.: Management. Základy moderní manažerské přístupy, výkonnost a prosperita. Management Press ISBN 798-80-7261-200-0
- MLÁDKOVÁ, L., JEDINÁK, P., a kol.: Management. Aleš Čeněk, s.r.o. Plzeň, ISBN 978-80-7380-230-1
- ROBBINS, S., COULTER, M.: Management. Pearsons. ISBN 978-01-3216-384-2
- SCHERMERHORN, J. R.: Introduction to management. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-04-7064-624-3
- MINTZBERG, H.: Managing. Berrett-Koehler Publishers. ISBN 978-15-7675-340-8