The aim of this module is to realize the principles of leadership that are needed for a good understanding of this topic. The student is especially familiar with a wide range of leadership styles, finds out which qualities a proper leader should possess and will focus in detail on the types of leadership in different generations, from post-war generation to alpha generation. Another aim of the course is to acquaint students with the principles of managers' competencies according to the American Management Association and focus on modern leadership and its contribution to the company and individuals.
Lecturer of the study module
Ing. Yvona Charouzdová
Recognize the principles of leadership that are needed for a good understanding of this topic.
In today’s business world we have an interesting number of people in leadership roles.
The question, however, is how they succeed in leading teams of people. Recently, I see in practice that we have a large number of directive bosses who do not have leadership under the skin and they don’t even want to have it. But I am optimistic and I believe that the situation will soon change.
For over twenty years, I have been working with top level managers to find the relevant answer to the question of who is actually the right leader. I have to admit that this long-term research has always brought me interesting findings over the years. When asked whether respondents see the difference between leader and manager, sometimes I get various answers – from professional to surprisingly naive. In the Czech Republic, the name of the position and the content of the word leader are often confused. So what is it about the leadership? Leadership is all about attitudes.
- VEBER, J.: Management. Základy moderní manažerské přístupy, výkonnost a prosperita. Management Press ISBN 798-80-7261-200-0
- MLÁDKOVÁ, L., JEDINÁK, P., a kol.: Management. Aleš Čeněk, s.r.o. Plzeň, ISBN 978-80-7380-230-1
- ROBBINS, S., COULTER, M.: Management. Pearsons. ISBN 978-01-3216-384-2
- SCHERMERHORN, J. R.: Introduction to management. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-04-7064-624-3
- MINTZBERG, H.: Managing. Berrett-Koehler Publishers. ISBN 978-15-7675-340-8